Monday 5 July 2010

What's With All The Guilty Pleasures?

Guilty Pleasures. They are something I've never been able to understand. If you like something, you like it. Where does guilt come into it?

I love Jedward. I love cheesy 80s music and S Club 7 still put a smile on my face. Nothing puts me in a better mood than a good chick flick and I read trashy magazines. I watch Come Dine With Me despite my lack of interest in cooking. Christmas is my favourite time of year. I can still be entertained my Postman Pat and Pingu. I adore singing along to Jackson 5 and I'm addicted to 90210.

I like all the things you're not meant to like. If I was into being cool I would not admit to any of this. I would, at the most, put it down to guilty pleasure. But really, when you think about it, isn't it the most ridiculous thing? Feeling guilty about liking something? Have some acceptance, people! You like it and deep down you know that that's all there is to it. And if you want to get into the psychological side of things, surely it's not entirely healthy. These things you like make up, in part, who you are. If you're feeling guilty about them then you are, effectively, feeling guilty about who you are as a person. I'm not claiming to be some kind of qualified psychologist, but I think we can all agree that's never going to be good for anyone.



I bet this picture of S Club 7 is putting a smile on your face already.

So, don't you think it's time we started ditching the guilty pleasures?

2 comments:

  1. I used to love S club 7. It's too bad they don't put those shows on television anymore. All the slightly older ones were, of course, the best. I don't want to say old because they aren't really. I guess I could just say the ones from the 80s and 90s. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, I love this post! So true. And I adore S Club 7, they were the highlight of primary school discos...

    ReplyDelete