Monday 5 July 2010

Day 3 - My Favourite TV Show

I love television. But there really is no competition here. Skins is by far my favourite tv show. This probably doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who has read my previous posts - it is practically impossible for me to refrain from mentioning the show and it's cast at any given oppurtunity. I feel as if I have grown up with Skins, and I do sometimes wonder if my teenage years would have been different had it not existed - but I'll go into that later.

Skins came to our screens in 2007 on E4. 3 and a half years ago, aged 13, I distinctly remember sitting in the lounge, the rain pouring against the windows, accompanied by my family and my best friend at the time, April. What we were watching I can't remember - most likely some mundane daytime television - but I remember this advert suddenly snapping us out of our mindless viewing experience. There were 'young people' (although just teenagers, at my young age they somehow looked a lot older) in brightly-coloured clothes frolicking about on the screen, driving about on children's bikes, having food fights, having sex, dressing up as bears - this, to me, looked like the best party ever. We were all enthralled by this advert, and were awaiting the end of it so we could find out what the hell it was all about. Skins. New Drama. Thursday, 10pm.

If you don't know, Skins is a teen drama about a group of teenagers aged 16 - 18 that go to College in Bristol. Each episode focuses on a different character and gives us an insight into their lives, as we follow the developing relationships and struggles of the characters. Every two years the cast is changed so that the show remains about 16 - 18 year olds. Although labelled as a teen drama, everyone from my little brother's 10-year-old friends to my 75-year-old grandma has borrowed the DVDs from me.


Still from the Series 1 trailer.

We all resolved to watch it and the following Thursday I was sat with my parents, watching what would become my favourite show and new obsession. I found it hilarious, although I must not have taken in the more serious parts of it, because I remember thinking of it primarily as a comedy. When the episode finished, my mum said, "Isn't it great that there's finally something realistic about teenagers?" Every Friday would be spent going over every second of the previous episode with April, and the remaining days of the week were spent speculating over what would happen next.

It was also during this time that we decided our lives were going to be exactly like that of the Skins gang, and many run-ins with drug dealers, nights spent sleeping in abandoned warehouses and drunken parties ensued. There's a lot of debate over whether Skins has influenced teenagers, and what I have just said definitely backs that view up. But when it comes down to it, I think it is a fair representation of teens of actual 'Skins age' and is far more influential to the younger ones who watch it.

There are many reasons I love Skins. It's one of the most realistic representations of British teens out there. Series 1 pretty much is my life. I think we can all agree that after that the realism went a bit down hill, which really is a shame. There are times, most prevelant during Series 4, when I have wanted to slap the writers. The characters are realistic, relatable, complex people - no one-dimensions among them. I think all teenagers can identify with at least one of the characters, or various aspects of each of the characters. Altogether, pretty much everything that has happened to the Skins crew has happened to me and my friends. (Bar driving into a lake, although this has almost happened on many an occasion, and one of us being murdered with a baseball bat. Yes, that's where you got it wrong, Skins writers. What the fuck were you thinking?)


The 1st Generation, clockwise: Anwar Kharral, Tony Stonem, Michelle Richardson, Sid Jenkins, Cassie Ainsworth, Maxxie Oliver, Posh Kenneth, Abigail Stock, Chris Miles & Jal Fazer.

I love the way they all dress to reflect their personalities, and the soundtrack is amazing. It's everything all in one - it can be funny, serious, wild, poignant, upsetting, mundane, dramatic, heartwarming, heartbreaking. There are so many beautiful lines within the show. The supporting characters - teachers and family members, are all hilarious and interesting in their own right (my favourite of which is James Fitch, twins Katie & Emily's little brother.) I am incredibly attached to the characters - most importantly, Effy Stonem and James Cook, who are my all time favourite characters. I relate so much to Effy it's unreal, and I'm in love with Cook - his character is amazingly well-developed. Other favourite characters of mine are Tony, Sid, Chris, Michelle, Katie & Emily.


The 2nd Generation, l-r: JJ Jones, Naomi Campbell, Emily Fitch, Katie Fitch, James Cook, Effy Stonem, Freddie McLair, Pandora Moon & Thomas Tomone.

I don't want to give away any plotlines in case you havn't seen it. Take a look at these videos and if you're still not interested in watching it, why?!

A serious one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmX95PakaHM&playnext_from=TL&videos=JEzSMs6sxBw

A funnier one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AauiuCE43HU&feature=related

My number one reason for loving the show? It shows teenagers as they are. Their good points and their bad points, and as a viewer, you are forced to either accept them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment